.it for the world

Brendan McLoughlin brendan a FUBRA.NET
Dom 11 Mar 2001 15:31:22 CET


I am glad to see that my thread has sparked views from both sides of the
arguement.

I take the point that .it is historically for Italy and fully understand the
place of ccTLDs. Whilst it is true that the purpose of ccTLDs was primarily
for subjects of a country to have a domain relating to their location I feel
that the Internet is a free place where these limitations should be enforced
to a point.

I think that with over 450,000 active .it domains that Italy is now quickly
catching up with both .de and the .uk for number of registrations and should
embrace the Internet further by opening it up to the world. Others may feel
it should be kept in Italy and the EU but my main point apart from allowing
the rest of the world to register .it as is allowed by .de .uk and hundreds
of others was that an individual in the EU should be allowed the same rights
as a company or business to register multiple domains.

For example it is perfectly acceptable that you should be allowed to
register Codogno.it and then register mauriziocodogno.it as well. Or perhaps
if you reside in Como you should also be allowed mauriziocodogno.co.it as
well. This is just one reason for an individual needing multiple
registrations and I believe that this is a change that should be made very
soon to the naming rules.

> pity that "uk" means little or nothing besides "United Kingdom",
> while "it" is a really nice word to end an English sentence
> (I daresay that if the country code for Italy were .iy, this thread
> would not have started...)

I totally agree with this! Italy have a great ccTLD and I see no reason why
they should not share it with the rest of the world and be proud of .it.:)

More dicussion on multiple domains for EU citizens should be posted.

Brendan McLoughlin
FUBRA-MNT

-----Original Message-----
From: Maurizio Codogno [mailto:mau a beatles.cselt.it]
Sent: 27 January 2001 13:43
To: ita-pe a nic.it
Cc: brendan a FUBRA.NET
Subject: Re: .it for the world


On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:11:59 +0100
Alessandro Nosenzo <nosenzo a IDEA.IT> wrote:

> I do apologize dear Maurizio but I do not agree with your reply.
> Even the cc TLD .uk is a country code TLD but is open to
> everybody.

What happens in the world is a quite different thing from what
is the theoretical framework (that is, ccTLD and gTLD). Either
you claim that there is no difference between them, and follow the
logical path to "give back ccTLDs to ICANN so that they may start a
multiregistrar system there too" (note that I have no objection in
principle to that path), or you have to put into existence something
which differentiated between the country and the rest of the world.

> The meaning of a country code is not the fact that the person
> holding the domain name is based in Italy.

Actually, if you look at the rules for .it, this is not true even
for us: if a foreign firm has interests in Italy/EU , and so a
representative in Italy/EU, it may apply for a domain in .it .

> We cannot limit the possibility to be happy of a person only
> because in not based in the UE.

So you are saying that - since someone said "Happiness is a warm
gun (bang bang shoot shoot)" - we cannot limit the possibility
for them to be happy and we must eventually legalise the free
commerce of weapons? Quite an interesting concept.
Or, if we want to stick on domain names: let's suppose that .museum
will be a gTLD which asks that you are representing a museum, in order
to get a domain name there. Are you saying that the registry for .museum
cannot do so, because my uncle always wanted to show his collection of
matchboxes under ".museum"?


> Obviosly the great part of the foreign companies registering a
> domain within the ccTLD .it will be connected in a way with this
> great Country, but it is not illegal that a Thai student wants a .it
> domain because he like to learn Italian, and now he cannot get it
> for this limitation.

*legality* is what law says. This is completely different from
what a private board decides internally.
Besides, I cannot see any reason why, if I want to learn Thai, I
would need a .th domain. Could you explain what is the
cause-and-effect connection?


> The main thing is that the majority of the domain names are any
> ways connected to such Country even because the extention of the
> domain is quite clear.

pity that "uk" means little or nothing besides "United Kingdom",
while "it" is a really nice word to end an English sentence
(I daresay that if the country code for Italy were .iy, this thread
would not have started...)


> Having said that I will work this year in order to open the italian TLD
> to everybody and even if will be a great fight I hope at the end to get
> such amendment to the rules.

Everybody is entitled to his or her opinions. I think that my opinions
are clear... and no, I am still not interested in registering domains:
I am not fearing other competitors.

ciao, .mau.



Maggiori informazioni sulla lista ita-pe