More on ICANN's delayed decision on Verisign power deal

Chris Chiu (by way of chiari mario <chiari.hm@flashnet.it>) CCHIU a ACLU.ORG
Mer 14 Mar 2001 19:01:40 CET

"During a board discussion Tuesday, nearly all board members acknowledged
the unpleasant situation the organization is now in.

"'While we acknowledge that there are some structural inefficiencies here
(in ICANN's decision-making process), this is not a reason to further bypass
the legitimate process of consulting the supporting organizations,' said
board member Amadeu Abril i Abril. 'If the consensus-building process loses
its consensus-building tools, what's left?'

"Other board members suggested more time be spent considering the revised
contract and its implications. One even suggested an independent legal
review be undertaken of the two contracts.

"For his part, Cerf said a delay would mean accepting the existing
contract. The reason is that VeriSign would be under pressure to divest
either its registry or its registrar business by May 10, and would have
little time to lose.

"'If we do nothing, we essentially accept option "A,"' Cerf said. 'However,
in my view we have an opportunity to do better than option "A," and that
option "B" offers improvements and benefits.'

"For his part, board member Jonathan Cohen said he was surprised by the
vehemence of responses. He also suggested many opponents of the revised
agreement may be people who feel victimized by real or imagined heavy-handed
treatment by VeriSign.

"'It really came as a surprise to me something like this would spark so much
emotion,' he said, noting he'd been intensely lobbied by both sides in the
hallways of the meeting.

"However, he said the key issue now is what's best for the future of the
Internet.

"'With greatest respect to those who are upset (about past experiences), I
just can't see how this is relevant here,' he said. 'This decision should be
only about whether the amended agreement offers sufficient improvement or
benefit that we should substitute for the existing agreement.'

"He didn't offer a view on that. Nor did ICANN president and CEO Mike
Roberts.

"'There has been a lot of horse trading by the managements of the two
corporations in the past few months,' Roberts said. 'The issue was, is there
an alternative to the current contract that is attractive to both the
shareholders of VeriSign on the one hand, and is attractive to the Internet
community as represented by the ICANN board on the other hand?'

"He didn't go further. However, his view doesn't count for much, since he
retired from his post after Tuesday's board meeting. He's being replaced by
incoming CEO Stuart Lynn, a University of California academic who kept a low
profile at the meeting."

See Stewart Taggart, "Furor Over ICANN-Verisign Deal," Wired News, Mar. 13,
2001 at

See also
http://www.internetdemocracyproject.org

Sincerely,
Christopher Chiu
Global Internet Liberty Campaign Organizer
American Civil Liberties Union

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: chiari.hm a flashnet.it