FYI: [ALSC-Forum] Fwd: FC: ACLU protests ICANN demand of $5,000 to leaflet at meeting

Esther Dyson (by way of chiari mario <Mario.Chiari@isoc.it>) edyson a EDVENTURE.COM
Ven 9 Nov 2001 23:16:06 CET

>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:52:37 -0500
>From: Declan McCullagh <declan a well.com>
>To: politech a politechbot.com
>Subject: FC: ACLU protests ICANN demand of $5,000 to leaflet at meeting
>Sender: owner-politech a politechbot.com
>

>----- Forwarded message from Chris Chiu <CCHIU a aclu.org> -----
>
>From: Chris Chiu <CCHIU a aclu.org>
>Subject: FW: letter on ICANN leafleting restrictions
>To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declan a wired.com>
>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:13:49 -0500
>
>November 9, 2001
>
>Dr. Vinton Cerf
>Chairman
>Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
>4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
>Marina del Rey CA 90292-6601
>
>Dear Dr. Cerf:
>
>It has come to our attention that the Internet Corporation for Assigned
>Names and Numbers (ICANN) plans to restrict leafleting at its meetings in
>Marina Del Rey on November 12-15, 2001.
>
>Specifically, ICANN will not permit anyone to distribute leaflets or other
>such materials at the conference unless they pay at least $5000. This plan
>is explained on ICANN's website:
>
>"A table will be provided for distribution of literature for sponsors only.
>Additional recognition of sponsorship is listed below in the description of
>each level. An organization that is not a sponsor will not be permitted to
>distribute materials in the meeting area."
>
>The lowest level of sponsorship requires a minimum payment of $5000.
>
>We are deeply troubled by this development, and we urge you to revoke the
>ban. This decision runs counter to Article III of ICANN's own Bylaws, which
>requires the organization to be open and transparent to the general public:
>
>"The Corporation and its subordinate entities shall operate to the maximum
>extent feasible in an open and transparent manner and consistent with
>procedures designed to ensure fairness."
>
>The restriction on leafleting will diminish the public confidence in the
>quality of the ICANN's decision-making that Article III was intended to
>foster, as well as substantially prejudice the rights of many persons with
>interests in ICANN's proceedings. ICANN can and should hear from all points
>of view and encourage public debate regarding its activities. As many
>observers have pointed out, "ICANN must rededicate itself to its original
>conception as a decentralized, bottom-up organization." Your organization
>has already been criticized as suffering from a "democracy deficit." This
>ban on leafleting will only further fuel these fears.
>
>Moreover, your decision raises significant free speech issues. It has long
>been recognized that the right to distribute flyers and literature is a
>protected form of expression. In some instances, leafleting even when other
>forms of speech have been prohibited. When an organization such as ICANN
>intentionally open a space for public discourse, it should refrain from
> [...]

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
writer, Release 3.0 (on Website below)
edyson a edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800    --   fax  1 (212) 924-0240
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

High-Tech Forum in Europe: canceled this year (details on Website)
PC FORUM: 24 to 27 March 2002, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona