FYI: [ALSC-Forum] Fwd: IP-FLASH ICANN replies to ACLU protest of $5,000 leafleting charge

Esther Dyson (by way of chiari mario <Mario.Chiari@isoc.it>) edyson a EDVENTURE.COM
Ven 9 Nov 2001 23:25:57 CET

>Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:55:43 -0500
>To: ip-flash a admin.listbox.com
>From: David Farber <dave a farber.net>
>Subject: IP-FLASH ICANN replies to ACLU protest of $5,000 leafleting charge
>Sender: owner-ip-flash a admin.listbox.com
>
>[ That was not the impression given before. I assume that there will be
>those who want to distribute "political" and printed non commercial
>material will be allowed to do so with no constraint. djf { I had been led
>to believe that companies enjoy first amendment rights also but hay I am
>not a lawyer :-) } ]
>
>>From: "Andrew McLaughlin" <mclaughlin a pobox.com>
>>To: <declan a well.com>
>>Subject: RE: ACLU protests ICANN demand of $5,000 to leaflet at meeting
>>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:08:24 -0800
>>
>>Declan:
>>
>>The complaint is mistaken.  ICANN holds open meetings, free to attend, with
>>open mike sessions for public comment.  People have always been allowed to
>>distribute policy drafts, proposals, RFCs, resolutions, etc.  The meeting is
>>not, however, a trade show, and we don't want companies to use it for
>>marketing purposes.  So the distribution of commercial literature is
>>restricted to sponsors.  That's SOP for meetings like this.
>>
>>--andrew

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
writer, Release 3.0 (on Website below)
edyson a edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800    --   fax  1 (212) 924-0240
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

High-Tech Forum in Europe: canceled this year (details on Website)
PC FORUM: 24 to 27 March 2002, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona